Saturday, July 19, 2008

Invasion Of the Bodysnatchers (film 1956)

This is the first film I've watched for this challenge.

Name: Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (1956)
Length:
Starring: Kevin McCarthy & Dana Wynter
Part of a series? N - although lots of remakes ...the latest being 'The Invasion' starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig
My rating: ****** Excellent
Why I would or would not recommend it:
Released in 1956 it is the original and still the best version of this now familiar story:
'A small-town doctor learns that the population of his community is being replaced by emotionless alien duplicates.'

Directed by Don Siegel, and starring Kevin McCarthy & Dana Wynter this is a MUST SEE sci-fi film.
In the 50'S postwar era speculation about 'invaders from out of space' was reflected in the boom of classic sci-fi films, of which this is one of the best.
The USA's thinly disguised fear of communism is also reflected throughout...

The film opens with Dr. Miles Bennell trying to convince doctors in another town that he is not mad: "Doctor, will you tell these fools? I'm not crazy. Make them listen to me before it's too late."


He then begins to tell his story: "It started - for me, it started - last Thursday, in response to an urgent message from my nurse, I hurried home from a medical convention I'd been attending. At first glance, everything looked the same. It wasn't. Something evil had taken possession of the town."

Atmospheric and full of paranoid feeling, this film keeps you in suspense until you see the first 'blank body' ...

...and then the 'pods'.








One of my favourite quotes from the film is :
"In my practice, I've seen how people have allowed their humanity to drain away. Only it happened slowly instead of all at once. They didn't seem to mind...All of us - a little bit - we harden our hearts, grow callous. Only when we have to fight to stay human do we realize how precious it is to us, how dear. "

Learn more about the film here and remember "You're Next!"

1 comment:

Bobbi said...

I love this film, but I hate the Nicole Kidman remake. Nice review!