Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Challenge


Officially starts January 1, 2009. Officially ends December 3, 2009. Giving you 42 weeks and 42 days. Unofficially, you can start whenever you join. (If that makes you feel better.) And unofficially you can finish whenever you can--early or late.

Your mission--if you choose to accept it--is to read, watch, listen, and review 42 sci-fi related items. (Items isn't the best word, but how else would you define all that this challenge could involve). What's acceptable? Practically everything: short stories, poetry (???), novellas, novels, episodes of TV shows, episodes of radio shows, movies, comic books, graphic novels, audio books, essays or articles about science fiction or science fiction writers, biographies of science fiction authors. This isn't quite as intimidating as it sounds. This is much more than a reading challenge. It would be intimidating (in all likelihood) to try to read that many books. But when you make each short story, each TV show episode count as individual items, then it is much more manageable I hope! (This challenge could be as easy as watching Season 1 and Season 2 of Stargate SG-1, for example.) 

No lists are needed. Really. If you want to post about the challenge and talk about what you hope to get to that's fine, of course, but no one will hold you to it! 

Save your list-making for later. Please make a post and list each item that you do read/watch/listen/whatever. You can link to your review there on that one post if you like.

Do you have to read anything? If you want to just watch TV shows and movies, that's fine. As long as you list/review them. 

When you say review do you mean "review"? It can be completely casual. Think of it as a one-sided conversation you'd have with a friend. Talk about what you liked, disliked, if you'd recommend it, if you'd want to read/watch it again. You can get analytical if you like. But you don't have to get 'deep' unless you want to. The reviews aren't like writing for a grade. There is no judgement. :)

You can approach this in several ways. You could aim to do something A-Z ish. (Skipping the harder letters). Or you could go by decades and try to touch a little bit of everything. But really you make the rules when it comes to picking what you want this challenge to do for you.

To sign up for the challenge, leave a comment with your email address. Yes, there are ways to leave it where you won't be spammed. laney_po AT yahoo DOT com (for example). But if you feel really strongly about NOT leaving your email address at a stranger's blog...then send me an email. Why the need for an email address??? Well, I want to invite participants to join this blog. They can then post their lists/reviews on this site. (It's fine to also post the reviews on your own site as well.) This way everyone can keep up with everyone else's progress. It's always a good way to get recommendations too! OR you can just make one post where you list (see below) your 42 as you go. So obviously, you'll start out blank...but then the list will fill out as you go.

EDITED: Some people ENJOY reviewing. Others don't. I'm happy for non-review-loving people to join in IF they promise to keep an ongoing list. (See my example). 




44 comments:

Debi said...

Count me in, Becky! Sounds like so much fun! I posted about it on both my regular and my reading challenge blog. Anyway, here's my address: rdagmstevens at frontiernet dot net

Thanks, Becky!

Jean said...

What the heck! (I can always blame cuz-in-law Debi for this one.) I just happen to have a science fiction something in my to-read pile and several sci-fi movies in the Netflix queue, so count me in. jean dot lightner dot norum at gmail dot com

Susan said...

Darn! Drat! I thought if it was for this year, I could pass it by.....it's for next year, and gosh, but isn't Battlestar Galactica going to finish around then and I have rewatch season 1, and if we ever get the new season of DR Who.....*sighs* happily......and so many fantasy and science fiction books to read, and if it's 42 why I might have to put in some Douglas Adams....count me in, Becky! Darn it. flynn4347 at rogers dot com
and I'll post about it shortly. thanks!!! :-)

Dewey said...

I'm signing up! dewpie at gmail dot com.

I have a suggestion for you for people who don't like to review. Maybe you could come up with a brief questionnaire people could use? I was thinking that I might post mini-reviews in clumps. For example, since I expressed interest over at your blog, I've already watched two movies and one TV episode that count. I might post something about all three of them at once.

Becky said...

Good idea, Dewey. I'll try to post something today or tomorrow. :)

jlshall said...

Shouldn't do this, but I'm going to anyway. You made it too tempting! Please sign me up. Here's my email address: jlshall at comcast dot net.

Elizabeth said...

I'd like to join as well! My email is
eschulenburg AT mchsi DOT com.

Grace Bridges said...

Yup, this is a no-brainer :)
Sign me up!
grace at gracebridges dot com

I don't quite get why this is for next year though? Looks like folks have started already?

brideofthebookgod said...

Please sign me up - I might even start before 1 January!

brideofthebookgod said...

Oh, forgot my e-mail address - brideofthebookgod(at)btinternet(dot)com

alisonwonderland said...

i just now saw a mention of this challenge on dewey's blog, and i want in! :)

since i'm currently working on viewing the episodes of SG-1, that - with a few sci-fi novels thrown in - will certainly take me through the challenge.

i'm at alisonwonderlandUT AT gmail DOT com. thanks!

Bobbi said...

Oh, I definitely would like to be part of this challenge! Please count me in!

Bobbi said...

Oh - I forgot to leave my email address!
brightmyer249 at hotmail dot com.

Thanks!

thisredhead said...

I'm joining in!!! I've blogged about it at This Redhead Reads.

My email address? Thisredheadreads at gmail dot com.

The Holistic Knitter said...

Count me in too...sounds fun ;0)

The Holistic Knitter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Samsara said...

I love sci-fi, so this should be fun! Count me in! samsaradesigns at hotmail dot com

Intergalactic Bookworm said...

This challenge is a no-brainer for me too! I have been a sci fi(c) fan since Jr High and I have been an amature astronomer (I wish that I wasn't so close to city lights; I live in Oak Lawn, IL, which borders Chicago on the Southwest side) since I was 5. Whenever there is a shuttle launch, I have NASA TV on almost 24/7. I belong to a few Science Fiction and Fantasy book groups over at Yahoo! and this will be a great tie-in.

I have two blogs with the same name, but slightly different spellings on the headers. One is http://intergalacticbookworm.blogspot.com and the other one is http://intergalacticbookworm.wordpress.com. I am keeping my Blogger one as I am tring to figure out WordPress. I may not keep the WordPress one. My e-mail address is (for books) intergalacticbookworm at gmail dot com. I just watched the first episode of the 3rd season of Eureka and it was good! Judy

Molly (Restless Reader) said...

I'm in! Looking forward to getting started.

hello at restlessreader dot com

Rebecca said...

I am very much excited to be involved in this challenge! Please count me in.

rebeccajohnson47(at)gmail(dot)com

Sharon said...

Hello! I just found this and at first thought I was just too late, then I noticed the 9 in 2009! Please, count me in.
sbrockis AT embarqmail DOT com

Intergalactic Bookworm said...

I do not remember if I gave you the address to my special 42 blog. It is http://intergalacticbookworms42.blogspot.com


Judy

Intergalactic Bookworm said...

I posted two stories at my 42 blog:

http://intergalacticbookworms42.blogspot.com


Judy

sharonluvscats said...

count me in.

sharonluvscats80 at yahoo dot com

Chain Reader said...

Sounds great! Count me in:
saz AT chainreader DOT com

gaijinmama said...

I'd probably be reading/watching at least 42 items in this category anyhow.
Count me in!
My email is
quenbya at yahoo dot com

Quenby/hikaru/Gaijinmama

Jenny said...

I'd like to join. Hope I can do this. I don't watch TV so I may have to slip in some short stories once in awhile. Thanks
jennykaesimpson@yahoo.com

retroredux said...

I've very interested and intrigued by this challenge but I have a couple of questions. First, what about books/tv/film that some might classify as Fantasy (like vampire books, films like Labyrinth, and tv like Buffy)? are those also acceptable. Finally, I also read paranormal, fantasy or futuristic romance-are these OK to use for the challenge?
Laura

Becky said...

Laura, I'm up for some variety. Try to have a few traditional sci-fi 'whatevers' in the mix. But I'd be fine with a 60/40 blend of sci-fi and fantasy.

retroredux said...

Great:) Looking forward to participating:)

Ali said...

I don't think I have it in me to do this challenge, but I wanted to let you know I just posted a list of recommended sci-fi writers on my Diversity Rocks! challenge site, with a link back to this challenge. :-)

Ali

nashvillebookworm said...

Count me in!

Kathrin said...

Oh, coun me in! My post is here.

Carl V. said...

I don't think I 'officially' signed up though I've just completed my first review for it. My email is cvincent68 (at) comcast (dot)net. This one is going to be fun.

pussreboots said...

I am working on a list and will make a proper post either tonight or tomorrow.

cauchy81sk said...

I'm in, here's a post about the challenge where I'll also keep the list with links to reviews:
http://cauchy81sk.wordpress.com/2008/12/31/42-challenge/

And a question: Does rereading books count? Or do they all have to be new boks/movies/... to me?

pussreboots said...

My tentative list is now posted.

N.Vasillis said...

Count me in! piperoliver avram (at) yahoo (dot) com

Thanks!

Becky said...

Not to be dense, but could you clarify your email address. Is the piperoliver a part of it? I didn't know how to handle the space between piperoliver and avram. Again, sorry that I didn't get it the first time. But I'd be happy to send an invite when I get it all clear.

Becky (laney_poATyahoo.com)

Alison said...

I'd love to join! amdietz at gmail dot com.

pussreboots said...

My email address is caligula (at) pussreboots (dot) pair (dot) com if you want/need to send me an invite.

Kathryn said...

Easily done. I already have a few reviews from this year up on librarything.com/kd9.

Anonymous said...

Would be interested in participating in this challenge.

Address is therojse[at]hotmail [dot]com

Can we review SF-themed video games as well?

uenohama said...

Hi, can I join in the fun?

My email is fiddlersgreen.r405 AT gmail DOT com